Escape: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

>> Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I suspect that all writers are superb escape artists--after all, if reading is a good escape, writing has got to be the ultimate. Then again, I suppose it depends on what you're trying to get away from.

There are pros and cons to escape. I think the key to knowing when you've gone from good to bad to ugly is consequences.

I'm a grand master escape artist. I've got so many escapist ideas I could do nothing but escape reality everyday for a year. Good thing I also have a relatively strong work ethic and a streak of compulsiveness or I could potentially be divorced, broke and unemployed.

The good: taking a focused break. A break with purpose that allows you just enough escape to get your balance back and enables you to face reality again with a clear head and renewed determination. You know you're at the "good" level if you feel refreshed and ready to go when life rushes up at you.

The bad: letting the break linger, unproductive. This diversion tends to drift past a reasonable amount of time. When reality encroaches on your escape, it means you've dwelled there too long. The bad escape can quickly sink into...

The ugly: important elements of reality go ignored for too long and consequences start cropping up--the bills don't get paid, laundry reaches the ceiling, cats start scouring the neighbor's house for food, kids call and ask, "Where are you? I've been waiting at school for two hours."

I've never actually been guilty of forgetting the kids...but those others...well, let's just say I'm dealing with a few of them at the moment.

What level escape artist are you? What are your favorite forms of escapes--from life, from writing, from whatever?

2 comments:

Bijoy 11:49 AM  

interesting stuff you have got here keep up the good work.wonderful picutre kewl blog be in touch


regards

Biby Cletus
Kerala,
India

Edie Ramer 2:48 PM  

My escape is blog hopping and email. For my new book, I have research, which is another biggie. I had fun last week picking out my heroine's house in Chicago. Now I have to pick out countries where there are wars, which won't be so much fun. :(

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP