Updating the Blog & Eventually the Website to Match

>> Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I saw my CPs awesome new site -- well, actually a sneak peek of her site, which is in the construction process, and I knew I had to do something with mine. Still, mine won't compare, but it'll be better than it was. Not that it was bad, just...quiet...in comparison to the new one. And even my new one will pale in comparison to her redesign. Stunning!

Since I'm doing the redesign myself, I'm quite limited. Not because of the site, but because of the blog. I'd rather design and implement 18 full websites than customize one freaking blog. In my life as Jack of all trades, Master of none, I've been a corporate web designer. I've also designed smaller company websites and personal websites. I know Photoshop and Flash and javascript and FrontPage, et. al.

But, cascading style sheets...I don't know what happened there. My brain just flicked to the off position and said, "Uh-uh. I don't want to have anything to do with those."

Hence, my blog-challenged state.

So...I searched high and low for a template I could modify, and I finally, finally found one. It's not perfect, but it's as close as I'm going to get short of taking courses in CSS, which, after all the education I've been through (yes, some in style sheets), you could not PAY me to do.

Now that I've got most of the bugs worked out of the blog format, I'm going to add a few custom image touches to spruce it up--a cool font header, a hot fireman here, a sexy couple there--then proceed to design a new site around the blog design, so it looks -- if not seamless -- as close as I can get.

At first, I thought it was a little too busy for my taste, but Elisabeth loves it, and like I said, beggars can't be choosers. What do you think so far? Come back soon to see the changes.

4 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton 7:47 PM  

You amaze me. And you know I love it. Can't wait to see the additions! And the new site when it's up and running!! :)

Spy Scribbler 10:34 PM  

It's gorgeous! I was the same way... could design, easy-peasy, and then CSS came along. I finally figured it out, mostly by doing what you did: using templates and then tweaking.

I still don't see myself building one from the ground up.

Edie Ramer 6:18 AM  

It's beautiful! I wish I had the technical talent to do this. I looked at your book page and read the blurbs--can't wait until their out so I can read them. The red with the black fit your fire theme. And the white makes it easy to read. :)

Joan Swan 9:07 AM  

Thanks, girls. It was a lot of work -- and that's just for the tweaking. If I'd had to create it, well...forget it.

But I'm getting new imaging editing in the next couple days after winning it on Ebay (way to expensive regular price and lost the newest version when I lost my computer) so I'll be able to make more changes to the template images and make it my own.

Then there is the website. That one I will build myself and I'm going to be trying to build it in Swish, which is like Flash, but more automated. Another learning curve.

It never ends, does it? :-)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP