Don't Talk To Me About Rejection Until...

>> Saturday, February 20, 2010

...You've been rejected over 300 times.

I mean...COME ON!!!

Stephenie Meyer sent 15 query letters about her teenage-vampire saga. She got nearly 10 rejection letters
You are F***ING KIDDING me, right? 10? TEN?
Harry Potter was submitted to 12 publishers (by an agent), all of whom rejected it.
12? As in T-W-E-L-V-E?
It [Harry Potter] was rejected by nearly 50 literary agents.
50? Okay, NOW we're just WARMING UP. Let me get the mini-violin out.
These are all bestsellers – all bestsellers which have been rejected more than once, more than 10 times.
If you aren't ready to be rejected by agents and editors alike over a few hundred times for various pieces of work/projects, I have three words of wisdom for you: FIND ANOTHER CAREER.

Those of you who know me, know I don't get riled up about too much. THIS just fries me. These types of statements makes it seems like 10 rejections is a lot. Try 100 rejections...that's decent. Try 200, okay, now you're really TRYING. By 300, yeah, I know you're serious.

KEEP WRITING. KEEP SUBMITTING.

WRITE SOME MORE. SUBMIT AGAIN.

RINSE. REPEAT.

AGAIN.

AND AGAIN.

***My work here is done. Stepping away from the bullhorn.***

2 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton 9:11 AM  

Love it when you get the bullhorn. GREAT post.:)

Monique DeVere 2:24 AM  

Wow! One imagines these bestsellers get picked-up on the first outing! Thanks for the post, it's makes me feel better :)

Hugs,
Monique

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP