The Benefits of Modern Technology

>> Thursday, March 04, 2010

This is a funny little story about an e-mail hijacking.

It was 4:30 am and I woke to my husband stirring. He looked at me and whispered, "Are you okay?"

I thought, oh, shit, I've been dreaming about my latest hero again. "I'm fine, why?"

"Because you were up at 3:00 am sending e-mails."

"Huh?" I know, eloquent, right? But, it was 4:30 in the morning afterall. "No, I wasn't. Are you okay?"

He picks up the blackberry on his nightstand -- always on and charged because of his work duties -- pulls up the email and shows it to me. Sure enough, I had sent him an email at 3:00 am with a link to something I didn't recognize.

"I didn't send that."

I got up and checked email on my desktop. Yep, someone had gotten into my email and sent messages with some bizzare link to everyone in my contact list. I spent the next couple hours changing passwords and alerting those who had been unwittingly exposed to God only knew what.

Thank goodness for instant emails via our modern technology, right?

3 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton 5:11 PM  

We got a phone call at 5am today from someone in India trying to confirm DH's social security number for God-only-knows-what. Was that you too?

Joan Swan 8:35 PM  

Crap! Nope, that wasn't me!

Monique DeVere 12:00 AM  

That's terrible! I've been hearing of lots of hijacked emails lately. I'm now wondering whether these emails are the likes of Yahoo, Google etc or just office outlook. Do you mind me asking which of yours got hijacked, Joan?

Hugs,
Monique

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP