Talk To Me

>> Friday, February 23, 2007

Choosing what to blog about it always a little tricky. You want to be relatively free to do your own thing...it is your blog after all, but you'd like it to be entertaining, informative, something others will want to come back again and again to read.

So...if you could design the perfect blog--your favorite, the one you check in with everyday to see what's new...what would it have?

~~Long, descriptive posts or short blurbs?
~~Posts everyday or every other or once a week or ??
~~Information or fluff?
~~Serious or funny?
~~Professional or personal?
~~Conservative or wacky?

Here's my take on it...

  • I come to the web primarily for information.

  • I visit blogs for communication and information.

  • I don't mind long posts if they stay on topic and offer something valuable (information, a different point of view, etc.).

  • I'm fine with short posts if they have substance. If there's no substance and it's just a "can't-chat-now" blog, then I don't think it's worth posting.

  • I don't mind personal talk unless it's about washing the car or walking the dog -- that I don't want to know about.

  • I like blogs that offer something others don't, either a unique point of view or information I don't get elsewhere.

  • Sometimes I choose to read a blog because I like the person who writes it--they're warm, personable, responsive, and we have things in common.

  • And I like blogs that are updated every day or every other day. Sometimes everyday is a bit too much and I feel like I'm always falling behind. But after a coupld days of nothing new, my return visits to that blog slow.

How about you?

5 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton 12:15 PM  

Hmm...I think it depends on what you're expecting to get from different blogs.

At RWKF, I'd agree with everything you listed here. At a personal blog, I think I like to see more personal information - if it's from a writer, then what's happening in their career, etc. I participate in my RWA chapter blog, and my expectations for that one are completely different from the rest. We aren't about promotion or networking so much as we are about discussing craft techniques, and our love of all things writing-related. That blog, because of the content/participants is much more relaxed than any of the other blogs I'm involved with.

Spy Scribbler 9:20 PM  

I was just reading a study that the most successful bloggers update twice a day. Can you imagine that? Twice?! Wow.

I'm really not picky about how my content (length, tone, subject) is delivered, as long as there's content.

The only pet peeve I have are blogs without a feed. I just don't have the time to pop by just in case there's an update. I like to see it delivered in my feed reader, and I usually click through to the site.

Joan Swan 2:50 PM  

The feed idea is important -- I definitely want to do that on RWKF, but don't know how. This template automatically came up with the feed on it...any advice on how to add it to RWKF??

Joan Swan 2:50 PM  

The feed idea is important -- I definitely want to do that on RWKF, but don't know how. This template automatically came up with the feed on it...any advice on how to add it to RWKF??

Edie Ramer 12:38 PM  

I'd go with most everything you wrote about blogs. On my personal blog, I usually update only once a week, sometimes twice. My book is my priority, not my blog.

I think we should put something personal in our blogs, even when it's about the craft. Mine is about my journey as a writer--except when someone tags me to write weird things about myself.*g*

I don't know how to do the Feed thing either.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP