New Addition To The Family

>> Sunday, April 01, 2007


No, not a baby (bite your tongue!) -- at least not a human baby. And nothing as ordinary as a dog or a cat or even a hampster.

We have a new lamb.

Never would I have believed I'd have spent an entire Saturday at a sheep auction, or found myself at the local feed store buying lamb food -- and not just any lamb grain, show lamb grain. And alfapha hay and a halter and muck boots and buckets and...

My oldest is doing FFA this year. I'm a child of the suburbs. The closest I got to farm animals were English riding lessons at a high-end ranch near our home.

I have quite a few reservations about this whole deal. And they only got worse when we got the little guy back to the school farm and he was the only one there. He cries like a new puppy. He also instantly bonded with my daughter. Within an hour, every time she left his pen, he starting crying.

Lambs are pretty darn cute. Why not a pig? I seriously doubt I'd have reservations about selling a pig at the county fair this summer.

Ugh. This will be an experience for all of us.

7 comments:

sixth lie 9:14 PM  

WOO HOOO! LAMB!!! Congratulations. Lambs are cute...from a distance. Hardcore city kid here - I don't think I've ever seen a lamb before.

note - I'm really bored and your blog randomly appeared.

Elisabeth Naughton 9:03 PM  

ROFLMAO!!!! You bought a lamb???????????????

Oh, that's so funny.

(BTW...your daughter is gorgeous.)

Joan Swan 7:17 AM  

Yep, a lamb. I swear this place gets more country every day or maybe I'm just aclimating. We've got real-life cowboys all over the damn place--one of my last patients, a man about 50 something came in in cowboy boots, dirty wranglers, a belt buckle the size of my fist, and kept using the word 'plumb'. And sheep auctions for God's sake.

Oh, BTW she named him Sunny. And when DH brought her up to the farm to feed Sunny this morning, Christian, a boy that my dd has liked for months and who has FINALLY admitted to liking her back was waiting in a tree. (At 14, don't they stop climbing trees?) So...DH decided he was going to hang out a while longer. :-) In full uniform, too. That ought to give him a nice little warning message. :-)

Elisabeth Naughton 7:35 AM  

Ha ha ha! I LOVE your DH.

Elisa 10:10 AM  

Sunny is so cute. :) LOL On your daughter and the boy. I'm not looking forward to when the mini-diva gets to be that age. I keep telling her I'm going to lock her in her room when she turns 12 and not let her out until she's 21.

Joan Swan 11:30 AM  

You might want to lock her up at 10...IME that's when the heavy attitude kicks in. It only goes downhill from there.

Mine shaped up at about 12 only to take another dive in the last couple months...she'll be 15 next month.

Damn. WHEN did I get a 15 year old??????????

Edie Ramer 7:26 AM  

Your daughter's gorgeous! Lambs are cute, but I can't imagine one as a pet. Good luck with it! And even better luck with your daughter and dating. *g*

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP